Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The End of the Line...For Now


            Well Portland, Maine is all I hoped it would be.  It is cold and sunny and friendly and lovely.  I have to admit, when I first arrived I was a bit shaken with the realization that my road trip had reached it destination.  I felt trapped and uncomfortable unpacking, but my cousin Hailey was kind enough to let Charlie and I take refuge in her adorably tiny apartment on the comfiest couch known to man, and I was soon able to come to grips with my temporary immobility. Hailey and I spent the next few days walking, running, cleaning, baking granola, cooking soup, hanging Christmas lights, farmers marketing, holding babies, painting nails, attending yoga, chatting, and just enjoying each others company in general.  It was really wonderful I must say.


I visited the bakery she works at (which so reminds me of Stacey Cakes) called Katie Made.  The elevated exterior and tiny kitchen gives it a cozy rather than cramped feel, and any glamour lost in its size is more than made up for by the alluring smell wafting down the street and delectable mixed berry scones.  We also caught a glimpse of the city Holiday Tree coming down the road to be erected in Monument Square.  Santa controlled the crane. I can’t wait to see it all lit up! 
Portland is a conscience community with a wonderful mix of city life and small town tradition.  It has large grass roots/ locally preferred influence, which is noticeable everywhere while still living up to its reputation as Maine’s largest city.  I could see myself staying here for an extended period of time, but then again I can also see myself leaving…
Not all who wander are lost.  I’ve heard that quite a bit in my life, and I like to think it suites me.  If I have learned anything on this trip, it is that I will most likely always wander.  There are those who know from near infancy what their calling is (or maybe I should say callings) and work consistently and heartily to achieve it (them). In the past I prided myself on membership of that category, but in experiencing even a tiny fraction of the world unknown to me, my previous goals and ideas unraveled before my very eyes.  I realized wanted to do and see and experience so many things.  There were too many paths to choose from and I didn’t know where to start.
There are infinite ways to live a single life, which means in some way we all search how to navigate it.  When it comes down to it, deep breaths are taken, opportunity cost considered, decisions made (some slow, some fast), and action taken with each step creating repercussions and abounding with endless possibilities.  And that is life. 
It is impossible to know what is coming and in that hides the beauty of the entire process.  Will I stay here? Maybe.  Will I move again? Maybe.  I will know what is right when the time comes, and you (my ever faithful readers!!) will be the first to know. Happy Holidays everyone, and may your hearts and homes and tables be overflowing with gratitude and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment