Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Romania




          In the USA there seems to be a misconception that eastern Europe is a delapitated desolate depressing place. Perhaps this is because older generations remember when parts were still the Soviet Union and can recall the fear of the Cold War, but it seems much has changed in the past 25ish years. These places are vibrant and alive and although there are traces of communism they have their own rich cultural heritage and wonder to show the world, so don’t discount them quite yet. If you are patient and open, the surprises that await are beyond measure. Welcome to Romania....
            After another excrutiatingly long train ride I arrived the capital city, Bucharest.  I was collected at the station by this lovely lady.  I was very excited to have a travel buddy after flying solo and we got down to business right away. Kitty and I were introduced by a mutual friend sometime ago and have been in touch though skype ever since. Turns out we get along as well in person as we do online, hooray!! Haha
        Well of course first thing's first after tiring a train ride: food. We started the trip off with a traditional Romanian meal of Sarmale (beef wrapped in cabbage leaves and boiled), sour stomach soup, and mamaliga (polenta smothered in sour cream and salt) washed down by fresh orange juice. It was probably the heavyist meal of my life but it sure was tasty!! 
       As I came to find out, most Romanian food is quite heavy.  Most dishes are salty, meaty, and include some form of cheese.  The desserts vary from sweet pastries to cakes to pies with honey glaze and cinnamon…..it seems eating light isn’t really a thing.... After a meal like that it was time to get out and move around, so we headed to Herastru Park in the heart of the city where bikes cost about $1/hour to rent. I was thrilled and we spent the afternoon biking around until Kitty had to run off to work and I went exploring on my own.
           An abundance of flower shops line the streets here as well (and yes I indulged again!) and even though I was still mostly full from lunch I managed to squeeze in the citys most famous snack, a soft warm pretzel!! They are sold from small storefront windows on every block and I swear the whole city smells like baking pretzles….does it get any better than that?! 
            The next morning we hopped a short train to a town called Sinaia in the Trasylvanian countryside.  It is a small town home to the last kings country castle.  Of course Romania hasn’t had a king since before communism so now the castle is open to visitors. The last king is actually still alive and living in Bucharest at the ripe age of 92!! The castle was stunning and so were the surrounding grounds. We spent our time there hiking, shopping, exporing the town and enjoying the quiet crisp air. Kitty was a fabulous guide and we ate more traditional Romanian foods like mici (grilled meat rolls), stuffed peppers, and baklava…no wonder my jeans feel a bit tight!
            Good thing we returned to Bucharest just in time for this!! What is it? Well the first day in the city I saw a poster on the subway that Bucharest would hold its first Color Run right before I was to leave the country.  Of course I was so excited I could hardly contain myself and I was able to sign up at the last minute. The color run is basically a 5K run/walk for any level and at each kilometer the runners/walkers are doused in colored chalk. Needless to say I was finding orange/yellow/blue/green chalk in my ears and belly button for days, but it was sooooo fun! Kitty opted not to take part but her and her boyfriend, Shageldi came to take photos and cheer me on! 
                          
        Also while in the city I stumbled across a gym where I found myself in a wonderful spinning class!!! Near the Dristor metro station is SanGym and this happy guy is Mihai the cycling instructor. If anyone is traveling through and looking for a place to work off the the over indulgent Romanian food, I highly recommend you stop by for a class. The gym facility is wonderful and has everything and the spinning classes are full of positive energy and great music. I really enjoyed myself. Thanks Mihai!!
            As I prepared to board my India bound flight I realized I was not done with Romania yet!! I wanted to stay more and eat more and exlpore more and visit more! But isn’t that how is should be? We go and travel and fall in love with a place and leave with a heavy heart and a head full of nice memories…I wouldn’t have it any other way. Off to the next phase of the trip!!!


PS In case anyone is wondering how Charlie, Jason, and Shelby are doing I received this pic a few days ago....everything looks great to me!! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment