Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Sydney, Australia

Friends and family please prepare yourselves for a lively blog (and excuse the overload of photos! There were just too many great ones to choose from!). My flight from Queenstown brought me directly to Sydney, Australia where I was collected by this guy! Matthew and I met about a year and a half ago in Vilnius, Lithuania. I had just arrived for school and he was traveling though when we met on a city tour which quickly turned into a friendship. We kept in good touch and when he moved back to his hometown down under, I decided stopping by was simply a must!

We didn’t waste any time as Matthew had quite a list of exciting things to do. After ditching my belongings at the house, we headed straight into the city center for noodles in Chinatown. It also happened to be the queen’s birthday weekend AND the VIVID light festival in Sydney. The whole center was bustling with people, bumping with music and lit up with color. Honestly, it was a spectacular light show the likes of which I have never seen. Although the photos of the Opera House that night didn’t come out well believe me, it was super! We spent the evening strolling around and eating ice cream before heading home far too late to pass out.

The next morning we were up before dawn to catch the sunrise over the city. I just want to take a moment to say that, not only is Matthew a FABULOUS tour guide, but he also is a photographer in the making. His photos are wonderful and I mostly left it up to him to document our adventures. Thanks you! I couldn’t have captured it without you! After the sun was fully up we shot over to Bondi Beach and then to breakfast at a half local market half restaurant called The Grounds of Alexandria, where we were joined by this lovely lady!

Don’t recognize her?! I don’t blame you haha Anna was my partner in crime back in 2010 when we studied together in Chengdu, China. I hadn’t seen her since, but found out she happened to be working/living a few hours outside the city. The three of us played tourist all day around the Opera House and the Harbor Bridge and even took the ferry back and forth to Manly Beach on the other side of the Circular Quay. When we were totally exhausted, we had hot Pho soup with basil and said our good byes.

It was so great to chat and relive our misguided Chinese adventures (and MISadventures). You still got it girl! Thanks so much for diving up to visit and I hope I don’t have to wait another 6 years until our next rendezvous! Good luck with helicopter mechanic training! :D

The following day was no different than the last as Matt and I were up early and on the road to Featherdale Wildlife Park where we saw all these adorable creatures 
and I nearly fainted with joy as I got to pet a koala bear.

When sufficiently overloaded with cuteness, we continued on to the Blue Mountains where we had a great view of well, everything it seemed. We ended the day slightly father up the road at Wentworth Falls where, although the temperature was much cooler, the sights were no less breathtaking. That night we swapped photos of the day over our favorite Friends episodes and again slept like rocks without a spare ounce of energy.  
 
Following our usual pattern, on Monday we drove south to Hyams Beach and worked our way back to the city stopping at the Kiama Blowhole and Stanwell Tops for photos and snacks. That evening, in one of my personal favorite moments of the trip, I got a lesson in how to make my favorite Chinese dumplings. They may not have been the prettiest ones I’ve ever seen, but after being deprived for a few years, my goodness were they yummy! Life skills right there. Life skills.

On my last full day in Sydney, we ditched the car and took a train then a ferry to a place called Bundeena, where Royal National Park slinks down to the coastline and offers some of the most beautiful scenery around. We took a long hike soaking in the perfect weather, and it was here, again, along this trail, that I spread some more of Neil’s ashes. It was peaceful, beautiful, open and inviting with enormous rock faces stretching down to the waterline. As I listened to the waves smash into them below I thought, “Yeah, this is a crispy beat. “ So I left a little bit of a very dear someone who would have loved it too.

That evening after showers, laundry and packing Matt and I spent our last evening eating dim sum (Seriously, the Asian cuisine in Sydney insanely good!) at a nearby vegetarian restaurant and swapping stories about places we had been and where we plan to travel in the future. Somewhere between the turnip cakes and the hot & sour soup I thought, “How perfectly lovely to find kindred spirits half a world away. What a special kind of luck.” Thank you so very much Matt for having me and to Julie & Jason for welcoming a stranger into your homes. It really was fabulously unforgettable trip! Good luck in Russia next month and I’m sure to see you soon! :)

Whew!!! Did we really fit all that into four and a half days?! Fact! Now that is my kind of fun… cheers mate ;)

 P.S. In case any of you are wondering how Charlie is doing back in The Netherlands, I received this mischievous looking photo from Gerben a few days ago along with word that the two of them were sharing steak and basmati rice together for dinner…so yeah…I think he’s fine… ;) Thanks Geb for keeping an eye on the little guy!! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment